Re: First service then...

Previously, you (Bryce von Bonin) wrote:
> My black 99 has just had it's first service. The dealership mentioned very
> little regarding the run-in process apart from keep within the rpm range,

My blue '00 is running so much better now that I'm up around 750 miles
and had the first service.  I don't know how much of that can be
attibuted to the service and how much to getting along in the break-in
period.  Probably a combination of both.

> use the gears and don't brake too hard early on.
>
> After several "misunderstandings" about the loan bike (not having it
> overnight due to insurance issues then trying to stick me with an
> unannounced hiring fee),

When you get a loaner, or make any other dealings, get it in writing.
If it is free, have them write it that way.

> they were also unaware the first service was free.

Same advice.  If the first service is free it is because you negotiated
that when you bought the bike, or the dealer offered it which amounts to
the same thing.  However, it must say that on the bill-of-sale or
attached documents.  If it doesn't say it in writing then it doesn't
exist.

My first service (last week) was US$171 including tax.  Most of this was
labor (2 hours @ $55/hr).  Most of the rest was oil.  I knew at the time
I bought the bike that I would have to pay for the 500 mile service.  No
surprises.

> I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Get out and ride, and let the ST take the taste away.

- --
Bill Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"