Intermitant Starting Problems - good one

The past week I had been riding, even though the morning temp had been
32F degrees or less. I would go out to start the bike in the morning or
after work and pull in the clutch, while the bike was on the side and in
neutral, and would just give a single click. Nothing, nada. If I got on
the bike and put up the side stand it would start. Ha, must be a the
sensor is bad or it is the battery. But I have lights. Check sensors,
nothing seems a miss. By day three I was beginning to wonder if I was
having battery problems. Leave the lights and ignition on for a bit and
things would catch. Then Friday morning it wasn't starting even with
side stand up and on the bike. With a couple of cycles of the ignition
switch it finally fires up. That night, nothing would work. So, we have
headlights, fuel pump is coming on, hey, may be we can bump start it. I
won't be trying that again any time soon.  Try cycling the power a
couple of more times. No luck. Well, it's seems time to begin
contemplating calling the wife. So, I check the clutch sensor, on the
clutch lever assembly, and the cable flips  up over the bars. There is a
connector between the switch and the harness that rides on the front
fork, attached by a tie, just inside the faring. It managed to wiggle
loose. Re-connect it and the bike was fine. You got to love the simple
things :)

On the ruff idling. I was having some problems with this and my mechanic
couldn't get it to settle in. He suggested that I "beat on the bike
some", revving it up the range further to help the valves seat a bit
better (2700 miles). So, I have been running it up and down the range
further and what you know. It is idling much better now.

I think the bike has so much torque down low there is a tendency to loaf
along in the 2500-4500 range a lot. Shoot, not to mention it will do 100
at redline in second. If we wish to keep our road privileges it is hard
to us the upper rev range. I still say if it was only a 4 speed it would
be one hell of a bike.

So, treat her right. Let her clear out those lungs and breath a bit.
Besides riding in second around town saves on breaks.

Neil