Re: ST crashes

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 12/09/99 01:27:45 PM
 >Sorry to hear about another one, but I'm glad you're ok. The number of
 >crashes that I've heard about since joining this list is starting to worry
 >me though. Not that I think the bike is inherently unsafe (well, not more

As Brian pointed out, one of the reasons that you may see more crashes is
because of the increased mileage. Another possibility is the smoothness of
the bike that allows people to ride above their riding level without really
realizing how fast they are going. However, I went through and looked at
the data from the list and while we talk about crashes a lot, there wasn't
as many crashes as I thought.

There were a lot of 0 mph problems though.....

Of eighteen drops / crashes only two were really bad (in my estimation) -

(1) was going too hot into a corner and
(1) was an attempt at bagging a deer without a gun

Add to that,
(1) Too fast / aggressive on new tires (about 25mph in a corner on smooth
concrete)
(1) Lost back end in a T intersection
(3) Cars entering in travel path
(1) Hit by an oncoming squid
(1) Dropped while trying to jump start bike
(3) Under 5mph crashes involving sand or gravel
(1) Dropped while evading a team of painters (0 mph)
(1) Hit car at stop light from behind
(1) O mph drop
(1) Unknown
(1) Drop while attempting to use the center stand in bare feet

and my all time favorite

(1) Take down by a quickly descending garage door......

Those numbers don't suggest a problem with the bike to me.

- - Eric