shifting linkage

Hey folks,
Just wanted to comment about going to the Daytona style shifter.  Before
you go ordering this shifter, check your own linkage.  The little bit of
slop that I noticed in mine disappeared after I tightened the pinch bolt
on the knurled shifter shaft.  It wasn't very loose but a tiny amount of
lash around that shaft results in a much bigger amount of slop at the
foot lever end.  Check yours even if you not looking to replace it with
the Daytona style shifter.

Am I the only one that notices how annoyingly prone this ST is at
standing up in mid corner braking?  I hope this trait disappears
completely when I go to a different tire.  I don't make a habit of
braking in corners but ever since I noticed it standing up and
tightening up my line  and then radically running wide when I release
the (front) brake, it has caused me to experiment with it on every
curve.  I find that I can not get used to it nor do I want to.  The
effect is much more dramatic than any other bike I've ridden.  It is a
most annoying trait that I hope can be alleviated with different tires.

BTW, the latest Sport Rider has an excellent comparison of DOT sport
tires in which one of the criteria for judging a tire was "Neutrality"
which is it's tendency to cause the bike to stand up in midcorner
braking and its resistance to falling over once leaned over in a turn.
Too bad the BT57 wasn't included in the test.

They also do a comparo betwixt the ST, ST4, R11S, and VFR800.  Guess
which bike "triumphed" again?

This coolant reservoir cap leaking all over the back of the bike really
has me wonderring why Triumph hasn't recalled it.  Once this stuff hits
the back tire you can imagine the loss of traction as coolant does have
some kind of lubrication in it.  Is this not a safety issue?

Jonathan West