Re: in the Zone

I think that it's possible to get "in the Zone" in almost any situation, but
most definitely in areas of athletic performance or creative endeavor.  I
know many musicians will talk about this occurring during live performances,
especially jazz groups and jam bands that engage in a lot of improvisation.
Baseball players will tell you about hitting streaks and pitchers will talk
about great days on the mound.  Michael Jordan, I think, was a permanent
resident of the Zone.

Certainly have experienced this myself both on the motorcycle as well as
when writing.  Not so much at work, but then I do have days where all
problems seem surmountable and nothing seems to faze me.

I imagine conditioning helps.  The more we practice, the easier it is to
slip into that magic space.  I know that I am much more likely to find
myself effortlessly carving twisties if I am well-rested and have been
riding often (at least every weekend).  The fear melts away and it seems as
if I can anticipate any possibility.

Now, having said all that.  Watch out that you don't lull yourself into a
false sense of security.  My best-buddy went down with his son on the back
one day when he "thought" he was in the Zone.  He was feeling very relaxed
and in control, but when a car started to pull out of a side street, he
panicked and locked the front, spilling both he and his son into the street.
Fact is, in his relaxed state, he WASN'T paying attention, didn't see the
car on the side street and over-reacted to a situation that was easily
avoidable.  The car saw him in plenty of time and stopped, but Chris had
already locked the brakes.

I think the feeling of being in the Zone is reflective of our perceived
ability, not our actual ability.  If we think we have mastered something, we
relax and our confidence helps us enjoy an increased sense of satisfaction.
But have we REALLY truly mastered that activity?  In my experience, if I
have learned anything at all from life, the truth is we rarely master
anything and there is always more to learn and know.  Enjoy those magical
moments when it all seems to come together, but don't forget about that deer
(or dog, or pothole, etc.) that may lurk around the very next turn.  Never
let yourself relax to the point where you become careless or complacent and
you'll live long enough to enjoy more of the moments.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season!  May your days be warm, dry and
cycle-friendly!

Peace