Recent crashes

After reading Bill Flowers reports, I decided that I was being to glib about
riding apparel. I always wear helmet, jacket and gloves, but when commuting,
usually wear regular jeans and non-ankle-covering shoes. So I started carrying
shoes, and wearing my Triumph riding boots to work. Then, at the MC show last
weekend, I was going to check out some chaps. I did, but was not particularly
impressed. (I have some perforated Triumph leather pants, but don't wear these
to work). I tried on a couple of chaps, and kept looking. I ended up getting
some over pants from Motoport. They are supposed to be cool, but have hip, knee
and shin padding underneath the 1000 Denier Nylon. Sound perfect. I also picked
up a back pad made out of the same padding material for $15, such a deal. I'll
use the back pad for my more spirited rides.

While there, despite all of the bad press on the list, I stopped by the Corbin
display. I had already made an appointment for next January to go down and have
them build me a seat while there. I was able to get the show discount of 10% by
paying for it at the show. (You know, I expected to spend $8 at the show
(ticket), but I guess it was nearer $900 :-}  )

Anyway, I'll post once I have the seat. It is not so much for me as for Jeanne,
who intensely dislikes the forward cant of the pillion. Plus I really like the
look of their new carbon-fibre leather. Anyway, more on that when it is done,
with pics of course.

You must see the Team Extreme trials demo if you go, amazing stuff.

And I love the 600, the RS looks great. Threw a leg over the Aprilia, the
ZX-12R, the 996, the new coloured Hayabusa. The RC51 should make World Superbike
interesting, Honda having decided if you can't beat them, join them to beat
them. So many bikes, so many people, and such passion. Everyone I talked to was
jazzed. I took my brother-in-law, visiting from England. He indicated he
couldn't follow much of the conversation, not knowing the "lingo", but he was
surprised how passionate everyone is about motorcycling.

At the Triumph truck, Triumph reaffirmed that John Bloor wasn't going to go
racing. But I have been thinking about this for some time. When I first read the
first writeup on the TT600, I longed to see the bike give it's namesake a go. I
suggested to the Triumph rep that a grass-roots effort might help fund an
attempt at the Isle of Mann TT, the "track" it was named for. He suggested that
Jack Lilley might be fielding a 600. So, I am also forwarding this mail to their
shop. I am asking them to provide an address where I can send my measly
contribution to help fund their 600 effort, assuming they have one.

After all the excitement this machine has generated on this list and especially
the Triumph-Digest, there must be others out in the world who feel as I do. I am
so stoked to own a Triumph (the ST is the perfect bike for me), but I would love
to see the Triumph name back up the podium. I figure $25 won't kill me, but a
few thousand similar contributions from Trumpeteers around the globe might make
a significant contribution to a successful attempt. Can't you just see it?

In fact, Eric Sheley, if you wouldn't mind forwarding this (or at least the bit
about the grassroots effort) to the triumph digest, I would greatly appreciate
it. For some reason, I cannot post to the digest because of some problem at
work. Thanx.

And a special thanx to Bill, recuperating nicely from the sound of it, for
jolting me into a more sensible perspective on protective clothing. May I never
need it! Best of luck to all of us in the next year. Ride hard enough, yet
sensibly enough to achieve what we all aspire to, FUN! :-)    Later!