Re: Road Trip 2000

Previously, you (Thomas Emberson) wrote:
> I fully enjoyed two season up in Ottawa. There are a large number
> of fun roads West, North and East of the nations capital. If you
> look at a medeum density map of Ontario and Quebec, all the roads
> that are on the map that look like they might be fun, are :-) And
> generally for the most part, escpecially in Ontario you will find
> the quality of the roads to be very good. Quebec, well, you will
> love some, and fear what the next pot hole will look like.

I can second the above! This is the area I spent summers in growing up,
and lived there for most of my adult life.

> One of the most enjoyable experiences in Ontario was when I took
> my 6e to Bill's sister in Law's cottage, this trip rated a fully
> lofted front wheel! Anyway,  if I remeber correctly I went west
> from Ottawa on 417 (borring) and it turns into 17 (trans Canada,
> watch your ass on this one, if a deer does not try to commit suicide
> in front of you some idiot in a cage will), turn west a refrew on
> 60 to 132. South on 41, west on 28. Now from there I would suggest
> going north on 62 to 127 (stay going north) up to 60 and go through
> Algonquin park.  and over to Huntsville.

You remember the highway numbers better than I do Thomas.  I recall the
towns: Renfrew, Denby, Bancroft, Hunstville and lots of much smaller
places in between.  Some only show as dots on the map and a couple of
abandoned buildings at the side of the road.  There are a series of
books published about ghost towns (and ghost railways) of Ontario.  Lots
of fun to chase them down before they disappear completely.

> That ride will probably take 6 to 8 hours, very senic. A lot of
> very nice hills and long sweapers and some tight twisties. The park
> is very beautiful!

The rugged beauty of the Canadian shield has to be seen to be
appreciated.  It isn't for everyone, but I love it.

> Bill probably knows some other really good roads and might be able
> to post some other suggests as the route I suggested goes close to
> where his parents like to summer.

There used to be a road that was marked on the map as "twisty" (only
road I've ever seen marked that way on a map) going south from
Gooderham.  About 10 years ago the province rebuilt it and took out the
most fun curves.  It still winds back and forth, and up and down
(nothing is flat around there) and is still fun, but not like it used to
be.

Thomas, this is the road you and I road 2-up on your 6e from Anneke's
cottage.

> As far as Newfoundland, I really want to ride out there as well,
> but I will be happy with doing California and getting to Ontario
> in the next two summers to visit family and friends. And of course
> a couple of trips to Florida.

Don't know about Newfoundland, but Willemina and I are looking forward
to the time we can travel without the kids (still years in the future)
so we can ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.  I've
done it twice in cages.  Just mind blowing scenery!

- --
Bill Flowers - Never Say Die
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"
- --
I'm dreaming of a motorcycle Christmas.

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website