Re: Somewhat off topic

LLammer@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hello everyone.  I've been a lurker for a couple of weeks to make sure this
>isn't a board devoted to flaming,  and I've got to say - what a swell buch
of
>folks! :)

You would be hard pressed to find a better group of people, on or off the
internet.

>I bought my red '99 ST in August, in part because of the looks, and
>the great reviews.  My problem is, I have little to no riding experience,

If you haven't already done so, take the MSF course.

>I've already dropped the thing once :(  (If anyone wants the Standox
pigment
>formulation let me know, cause most shops won't stock it, custom blend).
So,
>does anyone have any recommendations for a beginner bike under $1500,
either
>cc or model?  I live in the US, and when it warms up I'll be taking the
>safety course, but I really don't want to sand and repaint my baby again,
so
>I need a bike that'll handle a drop or two.

Kawasaki EX500 might be a good choice.  Rack up a few thousand miles on it
and you'll be ready for the ST.

Or, take the MSF course, don't go heavy on the throttle and you should be OK
with the ST.  The throttle response of the ST is smooth and linear.
Compared to many so-called "starter" bikes the weight is well balanced,
despite it being heavier.  Also the brakes are very well behaved, giving
excellent feedback.

My strong suggestion would be to make no decisions until after completing
the MSF course.  Then you can make an informed decision, after having gained
a great deal of useful information and skills.

Best of luck, and all the best for the season.
- --
Bill Flowers
Clearwater, FL

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website