Re: Sporty side of ST

Rennay Reeves wrote:

> How sporty is the ST? I was thinking of buying one if it handles curves
> pretty good.

I guess it depends on your definition of "pretty good." It certainly
meets *my* definition of pretty good; in fact, I'd say it's very good in
the curves. It's stable, well-balanced, and the engine has plenty of
torque down low to pull you out of the corner with authority. There's
plenty of ground clearance, too, and I think that only the racers in the
group have repeatedly ground the feelers (Matt, Simon, Dennis, Lance,
others?).

I will ding the stock tires, though (Bridgestone BT-57's); others have
reported track day kind of handling with Dunlop D207's (amongst other,
stickier tires). Regardless of the rubber, you're still going to get
waxed in the corners by a competent R1 (et al) pilot. The difference
will be that at the end of a 500-mile day you'll be ready to hit the bar
and have some fun, while the R1 pilot will be looking for some ibuprofin
and a soft bed. :-)

> Will it do wheelies without slipping the clutch?

I don't think it will in stock form, although 1) I haven't really tried
too hard to do a wheelie, and 2) I've never shifted back on the seat to
try to do a wheelie. However, I *can* get the front end very light (and
maybe an inch or two off the ground) in first gear.

If there's a dealer near you, go for a test ride -- all the dealers in
the US (world?) are required to have one for demo rides. Just make sure
there's enough money in your bank account to cover the down-payment
before you go. :-)

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP
McLean, VA

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website