Re: stock tires

Greg DellaCorte wrote:

> Have you had the tires
> suddenly let loose on you or has there been some warning signs that you
> were pushing the limits?

I've had the rear tire let go on me when I'm doing a (legal) U-turn to
get into my company's driveway. The rear slides out in a pretty
controlled manner at 25-or-so MPH during a tight turn. It doesn't feel
like it's going to go away completely and dump me on the ground, but it
certainly is sliding. I just keep a constant throttle and reduce my lean
a bit to get the rear back into shape.

I've had the front tire feel like it's sliding, but it's a different
feeling. While the rear gets very smooth during a slide, the front seems
to chatter and my line around the turn widens a bit. This was at pretty
high speeds (70+ MPH) around the curves on Skyline Drive, so I don't
know if the chattering is because of the different kind of pavement, or
if that's just the way the front tire reacts.

In both types of slides, however, note that I've had plenty of feedback
that let me safely modify my riding and avoid going down -- I was never
suddenly left on my back wondering "what happened?" I take it that
that's a good characteristic of the stock tires, not my being lucky.

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP
McLean, VA

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website