Re: new lurker^H^H^H^H list member

In a message dated 12/28/1999 6:56:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jong@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hmmmmm.  I talked to one dealer, and ended up with 12K out the door
>  (tax, title, and license), but was hoping for less than that, however
>  I'm not sure if I'm being unreasonable or not...
That is WAY too much. Even with sales tax, etc., that would be over list. I
would  offer him somewhere between $9500-$9900, (for the bike - tax not
incl). Mark up for these bikes is about 14%, so he's not getting hurt by that
figure, you're getting a decent deal, and he'll have a satisfied cutomer who
will return for parts, service, accessories, etc. That's how the smart
dealers do it. I'd rather sell 3 bikes at a profit of  $500 each, than 1 bike
with a profit of $1500. I'm still making money, and, increasing my customer
base 3x. And, chances are, you will come back to him for future bike
purchases, but you probably won't if he charges you full-pop and you find out
later that Joe Shmoe bought the same bike at the dealer across town for $1k
less than you paid. This has been my experience, and, admittedly, I used to
pay list for every vehicle I bought, but I am a little more experinced now,
(29 bikes in 30 years) so what I guess I'm trying to say is, give it your
best shot, do some research, don't be afraid to walk away if he won't
negotiate. These things are mass produced products, as much as we love them,
and no one holds a monopoly on selling them.

John Heinzer
'99 TBS (gonna miss it)
'00 ST (gonna love it)

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website