Re: st-digest V1999 #124

Tim,

I don't want to be contrary, but I don't agree that the gas gauge is totally
hosed. My ST was manufactured 11/98. My gas gauge seems to be relatively
accurate over the whole range, but not as good at the top, i.e. it will read
full for up to 100 - 120 miles then start to come down. The last half seems
to be accurate and predictable.

According to the manual, the tank hold 5.6 gallons (U.S.). My experience
(1000 miles) says this is accurate. I have had the low fuel light come on
once, at 218 miles. I put 4.7 gallons in the tank. By the way this was my
most recent, and worst gas mileage. I can see the effects of running the
bike harder during the later part of the break-in. All other fill-ups have
shown 50 mpg. As you can imagine, I am pleased with the combination of
mileage and performance, although I didn't buy the bike for the mileage.

Note that if you believe the factory tank capacity, the low fuel warning
gave me about a gallon reserve (45 - 50 miles). That is about what I would
expect based on 33 years of riding experience.

Larry