RE: Cornering Correctly in Comfort and lots of other Crud

Marc, The upper body weight should be carried primarily by the legs when
riding.  This will significantly reduce the weight on your wrists and
therefore improve comfort.  It will be difficult to get used to at first,
though.  In addition, it aids in the stability of the bike in corners.
You should be able to ride and corner with very light pressure on the bars.

As someone pointed out, Reg Pridmore encourages this and I can say that
Kieth
Code does as well.  In fact, Code has an excercise where when in full lean
he
wants you to wiggle your arms like a chicken.  Countersteering (pushing on
the bar for the direction you want to go; push left, go left) is really the
only way to effectively flick a motorcycle.  Weighting pegs, knee dragging,
and hanging off all have various degrees of importance in racing, but
essentially they primarily aid in altering the center of graviety of the
bike
and rider to enable faster cornering with less lean, but the actual turning
is done by countersteering.  In most turns on the street,  countersteering
with some weight shift should get you through turns at amusing speeds.  I'd
recomend picking up a copy of "A Twist of the Wrist II" by Kieth Code for
more information on the art of cornering a motorcycle.

I'm taking STAR, Jason Pridmore's School in September and would be
interested
in hearing any feedback from others who have taken it.

Any opinions on the following street tires:  BT56, BT56SS, Pilot Sports, and

D207s.  I've seen the Performance Bikes review, I'm looking for firsthand
opinions.

Rick Paukert
The Woodlands, TX
'99 Sprint ST
(It doesn't have a name)

Nice job Rick. Twist of the Wrist is what got me racing. Very good book and
video. I haven't been able to take any of the schools yet but hope to.
Freddie Spencer is also supposed to have a good class out in Las Vegas. I am
putting the D207's on my black ST when I get the front delivered in about 2
weeks. I have the rear but I don't want to mix manufactruers. I'll give you
soem feedback then. I used the 205's on my old Sprint and found them very
predictable. Much better than the Battleaxes. I just got my GenMar risers
today. I'm going to try them along with the taller screen over the next
week. We'll see how they perform for me. I'm perfectly happy with the ST now
but I am always trying new stuff.
Dennis
'99 Sprint ST
(Mine doesn't either)
'73 TR5MX 500 Roadracer
(Since we discourage foul language we'll just call it Red)