Re: heated grips switch

At 11:19 AM 07/03/1999 -0700, Brian Korver wrote:
>Are you absolutely positivly sure there is a difference?  Perhaps they

yes - I can leave it on the run position when it is cold but the start
position will cause my hands to sweat. If after extended riding, my hands
get cold again, a short stay on start will warm the hands right back up
again. If the heating was the same, then I would not get the extra warmth.....

>changed the grips to only have one setting ... although that would surprise
>me.  I'm not an EE, but I would think that if both switch positions are
>wired together (like they are on my harness), then there can only be
>on/off.

have you measured the resistance across the lines from the switch back to
the relay? The installation instructions warn against cutting the wires to
shorten them as the lengths were produced to produce a certain resistance
to control the heat. Maybe one side (the run) has more resistance than the
other.

>What role do you think the relay has in providing the two settings?  I can't
>tell how the whole thing is wired up without taking apart the harness.  I
>don't think I want to go there....

It may not have anything to do, but I can't tell without pulling the
fairing to test it or get my hands on a schematic. The service manual shows
a couple of pieces of the heated grip circuit, but not enough for me to
diagram it.

Do you feel that you are not getting two heat settings on yours?

- - Eric