Yamaha gunning for the ST?

Just got the August issue of Motorcyclist, and they have the following
interesting rumor on page 24:

"Yamaha may enter the sport-touring wars by releasing the GT1000, an
R1-powered traveler aimed directly at the likes of Honda's VFR and
Ducati's ST4. Utilizing a detuned-for-midrange, 110-horsepower,
fuel-injected R1 motor, a ram-air system and Deltabox frame, the GT is
rumored to weigh a class-leading 440 pounds dry. Racy R1/6/7 styling,
fully adjustable suspension and R1 brakes should make the relaxed ergos
and shaft drive acceptable to the go-fast crowd. But will the GT1000
debut this year in Milan? Yamaha claims that they ''don't have any such
knowledge of any such motorcycle.'' We'll see."

Shaft drive would certainly be an interesting option! I guess it remains
to be seens whether they really understand the market, though; getting
the suspension correct for both 1- and 2-up riding is tricky, and
there's always the question of hard luggage.

FYI...
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting