Re: Erratic fuel guage

At 10:50 PM 07/06/1999 -0400, Pete Berg wrote:
>I've had my Sprint for only five days.  Everything seems to be nicely put
>together, but what's up
>with the fuel guage?  What's required to get this fixed?

patience..... ;-)

Triumph is working on a fix which should be available in the near future.
Bear in mind that even after the fix, the gauge will not move for the first
80-100 miles as the sensor does not reach to the top of the tank.

>Also, is the fuel tank really 5.5 gallon capacity?  The owner's manual
>indicates 5.5 gal, but several
>magazine articles I've read specify only a 4.5 gal tank.

I can't remember any articles showing it at 4.5 gallons. Do you remember
which ones ?

The tank is 21 Litres. That corresponds to approx 5.5 gallons (US).
However, there is a 4 litre reserve (approx 1 Gallon) so I guess someone
might list it as 4.5 gallons with an additional 1 gallon in reserve ?

The other explanation would be that the article was British in nature and
was measuring in Imperial Gallons - there are 4.546 Litres to the Imperial
gallon which would give the tank a size of approx 4.5 Imperial gallons.....

>Finally, the disk brakes feel spongy.  Is this normal?

You may need to bleed the lines - I did and it made a world of difference.
Also you can check to make sure that one of the pistons on the caliper has
not stuck. One lister (Jonathan) in Germany had this problem and once
corrected he felt a difference in the brakes. I'm sure he can elaborate
more on this.

- - Eric