Re: Valve Clearances

Thanks for the info Eric,
I did say that the valves sounded noisy and the dealer suggested checking the valve clearances, so I shall ask them to ask Triumph to cover this under warranty, whether or not the valves are out of spec.  I do not have the service chart with me (it is with the dealer for stamping) but I am pretty confident that it does not specify doing a valve clearance check at the normal 10,000km service interval.  Does anyonne agree with that?  Marc de Vries suggested that his was included in the 10tkm service.

On the 509 I paid for the valve check at 10,000km and 8 of 12 valves needed replacement. I am still trying to get the money back from Triumph.... as I understand it you have to pay the dealer and submit the claim in person ?   Is this done in a different way in the US?

thanks
Jonathan

At 09:47 AM 07/07/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
>Had a long chat with my dealers' chief mechanic last night, after taking
in the ST for its 10,000km service.  I insisted on them checking the valve
clearances since 8 of 12 on my T509 were out of spec by 9500km last year.

Jonathan,

As I understand it, just walking in and asking for a valve check would be
at your own cost. However if there was a serviceable condition that
necessitated a valve check, that would be covered under warranty.

If you paid to have a valve check done (including paying for shims), if a
damaged valve is found (not tight, but physically damaged) the valve would
be covered under warranty.

Is this what you are experiencing, or is everything at your cost?

I have a list of a few that have had valve checks done, so once I get a few
more I will start compiling them and adding them to the site.

If anyone gets a valve check done, please send me the information,
including the bike build date, mileage, and any valves out of spec (or that
they are all in spec)

- - Eric