Re: heat

I just got back from my Laguna Seca trip (from San Diego) and must report a
most distressing problem. When we got to the flat and hot part of 33 going up
the San Joachin I found myself looking for the "off" switch for the
bun-warmer, as there was a lot of heat which seemed to be coming up through
the seat. Remembering that I was not riding a BMW, I investigated a little
more, and finally decided it must be hot air from under the trailing edge of
the fairing that was roasting the undersides of my thighs. Coming back along
101 in the San Fernando Valley on Monday July 12, the temp must have been in
the triple digits, and I almost got heat-stroke. This is a serious problem,
much worse than on my '95 Trophy 1200, about which there were many heat
complaints. I rode mine from Mexico to Canada and back X3 through lots of
heat (in fact there was a day in Mexicali when some of the participants
actually were laid up for a day with hyperthermia) The frame (of the ST) was
so hot that I couldn't touch it. It seems that no one has told the the
designers back in good old Blighty that the US of A is a HOT COUNTRY. Similar
problems afflicted their riding jacket-I had to have mine extensively vented
to make it usable here.
Has any one else experienced this? It occurs to me that most of the US
moto-magazine boys must have done their testing in the winter. Similarly, in
the English climate, which I have biked in, a little warmth to the nether
regions, I am sure, is most comforting.
Unless there is a solution, I think my otherwise lovely ST will become my
around-town commuter, which it is not particularly good at, and my
winter-touring bike. HELP! Dave Collins, San Diego