re: heat

At 12:26 AM 07/13/1999 -0400, TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx wrote:
 >actually were laid up for a day with hyperthermia) The frame (of the ST)
was
 >so hot that I couldn't touch it. It seems that no one has told the the
 >designers back in good old Blighty that the US of A is a HOT COUNTRY.
Similar
 >problems afflicted their riding jacket-I had to have mine extensively
vented
 >to make it usable here.
 >Has any one else experienced this? It occurs to me that most of the US
 >moto-magazine boys must have done their testing in the winter. Similarly,
in
 >the English climate, which I have biked in, a little warmth to the nether
 >regions, I am sure, is most comforting.

Dave,

As others have said, I think what you are feeling is normal for the ST.
Like Dennis mentioned, if you want heat, try the 595 / 955i. I know of
several people that either pull the lowers or have a separate half fairing
that they use for summer. I think the RS will really shine here - if it is
like my 96 Sprint, you will feel very little heat off of it at slower
speeds in the summer.

- -I agree that the heat from the frame and motor behind a large frame can
   -excessive at times, but only at slow speeds.  I seem to remember having
a     -simmilar issue with my last 2 bikes, a BMW R100RS and the 98 Triumph
Exec.    -The Exec wasn't as bad, but still there was alot of dead air
behind the tank  -and my Eclipse tank bag, especially crossing Kansas in
July, yuck!

As for the dehydration, it can be a very serious problem. One of the
biggest problems is that some of the first things to go are endurance and
coordination. If you want to see the effects of dehydration, go to
http://www.camelbak.com/guidelines.htm  During the summer I ride with a
CamelBak (70 oz) which I fill with a mixture of water and Gatorade - the
hose comes over my right shoulder and allows me to drink whenever I want.

Remember that there are three times when a rider should drink water: when
he's thirsty, when he isn't thirsty, and in between .....

Getting down off the soap box

- - - Eric

- -Amen to that!  I see too many people ignoring this until it's too
      -Keeping hydrated has saved me alot of pain since I learned my lesson
cooking  -behind the BMW fairing in Texas.  My Camelback lives in the top of
the tank    -bag.  I made a strap for the hose holder to fit the front of
the tank bag.    -I found it too distracting having 2 quarts of water
sloshing around on my     -body.