Re: heat

In a message dated 7/13/99 9:27:41 AM, eric@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< As others have said, I think what you are feeling is normal for the ST.
Like Dennis mentioned, if you want heat, try the 595 / 955i. I know of
several people that either pull the lowers or have a separate half fairing
that they use for summer. I think the RS will really shine here - if it is
like my 96 Sprint, you will feel very little heat off of it at slower
speeds in the summer. I rode a Buell ST2 last year in December and it was
so hot on my right leg that I actually had to start holding my leg off the
bike to cool it off...... So the ST has not been that bad....

Also, I only find the heat to be bad at lower speeds when I am in jeans.
When I am on the bike for longer periods of time I wear full leathers and
don't feel the heat in my legs at all (other than the normal heat of being
in leather).

As for the dehydration, it can be a very serious problem. One of the
biggest problems is that some of the first things to go are endurance and
coordination. If you want to see the effects of dehydration, go to
http://www.camelbak.com/guidelines.htm  During the summer I ride with a
CamelBak (70 oz) which I fill with a mixture of water and Gatorade - the
hose comes over my right shoulder and allows me to drink whenever I want.

Remember that there are three times when a rider should drink water: when
he's thirsty, when he isn't thirsty, and in between .....

Getting down off the soap box

Dear Eric,
Thank-you and the others for all your helpful advice. The fairing seems to be
the culprit. I was wearing the cordura Triumph riding pants when I was heat
afflicted. Next time I will try my leather pants. My kingdom for a
half-fairing! Dave