Re: Alternative racks.

Just to give another view, I had a Renntec unit on my T509; the black tubular construction looked cheap and the fixings to the rear subframe had to be bent to fit, and used up all the underseat space (filled with brackets and inaccessible nuts).  I would say it looked alot worse than the rather neat Triumph grabrail or rack unit, and it was rated to a load of only 2.5kg - which sounds about right before it would bend!  The cost (from Jack Lilley) was about £45, while the standard rack here in Germany is about DM200 (£60).

I guess its down to a matter of personal preference for looks, but in terms of usuable load carrying there is no dispute!!!  The Triumph unit can take a fully-loaded 45 litre Givi box (weight >20kg) without serious problem.  Try that on a Renntec and you will need a new Givi box (and possibly subframe!).... a friend tried it :(

cheers
Jonathan

>>> Martin Fay <mfay@xxxxxxxxxx> 15/07/99 11:37:27 >>>
     For anyone who, like myself, is not overly in love with the looks of
     the standard ST top rack, I've just been in touch with Renntec who
     manufacture a range of sport racks etc... and they will be developing
     a rack for the ST in the near future. They should be able to give a
     date for the first production run in about a months time.

     If you're not familiar with Renntec they produce really nice tubular
     top racks in Black or Chrome finish which IMHO look superior to the
     rather heavy looking Triumph item. They are also very competitively
     priced. I've used their racks in the past and the quality, fit and
     finish are first class. For a sample of their products see their web
     site.

     http://www.renntec.co.uk/index.html

     Martin

     '99 Sprint ST      (Next week....can't sleep....must drive....)
     '97 Suzuki TL1000S (Grease Spot)
     '79 Guzzi  V50 II
     '81 Suzuki X5      (Elleva)