Tyre Problem

I have a problem with the rear tyre - I think !
I have now done about 500 miles and two bands have appeared on the rear
BT57.
They're about 4 inches apart, appear slightly darker than the rest of the
tyre and the rubber looks 'scrubbed'.
I checked everything - tyre pressures etc and the only thing I found was
very slight play in the rear wheel.
I took it to the dealer today (Hughenden M40) and they retorqued the wheel
nut which has got rid of the free play, but I'm not convinced this was the
problem.
Am I wrong or does anybody else have any other ideas as to what is causing
it ?

Martin W.
Triumph Sprint ST (99)
Bandit6
Too Dangerous to live, Too Stupid to Die
http://www.onewheelsenough.freeserve.co.uk/BanzaiBAndit/