Re: Re[2]: Luggage options

Martin,
 I hate to disagree (ok, I quite enjoy it really...) but the new Givi backrest for the Elegant or Standard 45 litre top box is a total piece of c$#p!
It costs DM80,- here ($42!), weighs near 2kg, comes with an inaccurate fitting sheet, that means you end up cutting slots rather than holes in the box; after fitting the box leaks of course.  The new pad comes with 'side handles' and is so 'deep' that it pushes the pillion 6" down the rear seat into the rider.  My pillion begged me to dispose of this junk after 50km on our tour last weekend, and I am taking it back tonight.  It is mounted so high on the box that it gets the pillion in the shoulder blades rather than the lower back support area.

I have not tried a Triumph unit for comparison but it looks alot better - smaller, thinner and glued on rather than bolted?

If you want to go touring with a pillion, please 'try' the Givi unit before purchase or prepare for a lot of bitchin' on the route!  Its a real pain to have to carry 2kg of rubber junk for the rest of the trip.

One thing I noticed; the Givi plate adaptor for the Triumph rack uses two bolts for mounting which are secured through one of three slots in the triumph rack.  Only the middle  or forward slot are wide enough for the bolts to fit through; this means the plate is mounted fairly forward and limits the available seat space for the pillion with a top box fitted. For this reason alone the Triumph unit will probably be much more comfy for a pillion..... if you dont alreadly have a Givi (in fact even if you do!) think very carefully about how badly this can spoil your enjoyment of the ride having someone squashed to your butt for 2000km or more - I wont be taking a pillion with the top box fitted again.

cheers
Jonathan

>>> Martin Fay <mfay@xxxxxxxxxx> 16/07/99 10:17:26 >>>
     > But the Givi topbox is a lot less aerodynamic than the Triumph one
     > isn't it? I won't even mention the aesthetics.

     I will. Top boxes are ugly! Givi 45 litre boxes are PIG-UGLY! However
     they don't leak, rattle or rust. The back rest fits properly and stays
     put. They even cost a little less than the Triumph offering. Don't
     know about the aerodynamics though.

     Martin