Re: Exhaust gaskets

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 01:32 AM 07/21/1999 -0500, dan & ann curcio wrote:
>  >gaskets was slightly more compressed than the others.  New gaskets fixed
>  >the leak.  The point that I am trying to make is if you ever remove the
>  >header either put the old gaskets back exactly in their original
>  >positions or replace them.
>
> Dan,
>
> Its been a while since I had mine done, but I believe the instructions from
> Triumph call for replacing the exhaust gaskets (and the crankcase gasket)
> as standard practice.
>
>  >.  I also got to hear the
>  >bike run with the muffler off after asking what it would sound like.
>  >The technician obliged with a large grin.  Sounds just like a Formula
>  >Ford in the pits at the race track!  Very loud but cool.
>
> Would have liked to hear it without the pipes though ... ;-)
>
> - Eric

  I questioned them about the reuse of the exhaust gaskets too, but they said
Triumph did not specify replacement with the recall instructions.  According to
the dealer they will have to claim the exhaust gaskets separately under the
warranty.  I also think putting the old oil back in (also not covered under the
recall) is also poor practice as contamination during the exchange is so
likely.  I would not let them put the used oil back in and had to pay for an
entire oil change.

  I would love to run the engine without the pipes too (must be a guy thing
removing a perfectly quiet exhaust system just to hear the sound as my wife is
not impressed) but with all the cooling system parts so close to the exhaust
ports I would be afraid of toasting something.  Also running an engine with no
exhaust back pressure quickly overheats the exhaust valves possibly leading to
damage and we already know all the comments on potential valve problems, right?

Dan

End of st-digest V1999 #147