Re: Dunlop Tyres

Did Dunlop care to explain why a properly inflated tire can only stay properly inflated for about maybe two weeks!!....and a tire 10 to 20% underinflated tire can keep its inproper pressure for months!!.....This seems to have been my experience with all tires on all of the vehicles I have ever owned!!  I think that it is a conspiracy by the tire manufacturers.  They build a tire that will not hold recommended pressure, yet will not go totally flat or be visually low on air pressure.  Most people will not put air in their tires unless someone else tells them that their tires are aweful low!!! .....which means that the tire manufacturers are 30% closer to their next tire sale!!

- -David Arnett (Houston TX)

>>> Patrick Sutton <sooty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 07/22 3:40 AM >>>
Hi all,

Yesterday I had to go and  spend a day at Fort Dunlop where they make tyres
. It was what they called a Kaizen Day.

I was lucky enough to get attached to the Motorsport Team for the day. They
had just got back from Germany and Oulton Park with thier trucks and tyre
support vehicles.

Picture walking into a warehouse with 130,000 assorted race tyres stocked to
the ceiling !

Imagine my facial expression as they unloaded tyres that had been used on
top rider bikes and then throwing them into a rubbish skip !

Some tyres had only done 4 laps !

All those slicks from the WSB and Grand Prix bikes and the D207's from the
Supersport 600s.. I could have cried !

I managed to aquire a cpl of sets of new 207's so the Son and Heir is ok for
tyres for the rest of this summer. He is destroying the current D207s at an
alarming rate and I'm questioning whether he should be trusted with my pride
and joy !

Tyre facts.

We are taling truck tyres here but similar figures apply to all tyres.

20% underinflation results in a 25c temp increase.

20% underinflation results in 30% reduction in tyre life.

In a survey they found that

20% of all tyres on the road are underinflated by 10%
10% are underinflated by 20% .

Which equates to

20% of all vehicles are using 1.2 % excess fuel
10% of all vehicles are using up to 4 % excess fuel.

Big numbers when you think that a truck only does 7 or 8 mpg.

You've by now heard of Prisoner elecronic tagging.. well Dunlop have now
developed an electronic tyre tag.

When fitted to a 295/80/R225 truck tyre, the internal tag passes the contact
patch , 7 times / sec at 80 kph with and acceleration of  90G .

During the 100,000 cycle this would mean it passes the contact patch over
31,500,000 times .

It's all clever stuff eh.

Patrick