Re: New subscribers

At 12:20 PM 07/23/1999 -0700, Gary Slabaugh wrote:
 >I am Gary Slabaugh from Tucson, Arizona USA and have been a Sprint ST owner
 >for about 3 weeks and 3600 miles after having just returned home from a 2
week
 >honeymoon with it.

Welcome -

Interested in doing a write up of your travels for the website ?

 >only for the first tank of fuel.  The dealer that sold me the bike has heard
 >nothing about a general recall from Triumph to repair it so is it only a
rumor
 >or a fact that Triumph intends to make good on this item?   I have learned to

that's because there has not been a recall on the item yet. They have sent
out word to the US dealers (not sure about other countries), not to replace
any more, but that has been the only "official" word. Several of us have
heard that Triumph is working on a fix and to be patient. You will probably
hear about the new unit here first (as was the case with the bolt recall),
so until then just make sure to keep resetting your trip odometer.

 >radar as 7-8 mph fast.   I also checked the odometer against highway mile
 >markers and surmised it is at least about 5% high.  Is this speedo error also
 >common to all the Sprints?

Not just Sprints, but most motorcycles. Regulations vary from country to
country, but typically the manufacturer is not allowed to sell a unit which
reads under by any amount. They can, however supply a unit that reads up to
10 % high, so typically you will find that the bike reads somewhere between
+5% and +8%. My ST reads at 10% or more and I simply fitted a digital
speedo to give me an accurate reading. Of my last 6 bikes, the only one
that was close to being accurate was my Harley ... all the others,
including Triumph, Yamaha and Honda were off by 5% or more.

You may be able to get it re-calibrated if you wanted something that was
more accurate, but that will run you between $85-$90 and there is no
guarantee that you will be able to find someone to do it. I spoke with
several Speedo shops and the only one that would even consider it, was

Palo Alto Speedometer
718 Emerson St
Palo Alto, CA 94301
650 323 0243
http://www.paspeedo.com

but as he has not seen the new 99 unit, 1) he is not sure if the design is
re-sealable - if not, they can't work on it. 2) because the ST unit is not
mechanical (meaning it doesn't have a spinning speedo cable) they are not
sure if they would even be able to figure out how to re-calibrate it. At
the minimum it would require leaving a bike with them for the first one......

For me it was much easier to spend about $35 for the sigma and longer
cable, and install it on my ST.

- - Eric