the ST virus....

I really hope that I am not to be the first to suffer ST problems that others then find on their bikes.... but here are the new ones for this week.
Dont get me wrong - I love this bike - but am getting a bit sick of it being continuously in and out of the dealer, with a continuous back-log of problems to fix.... this is the first one (two in fact) that will prevent me from riding it.

1. Throttle cable disintegration
Within the last 500km (now at 12,500km) this has started to go.  Could be due to poor refitting following the derestriction, but it looked ok without being able to compare it. Will take a look at the dealers demo bike and see if they screwed up again :(

2. Warped brake discs
Possibly due to one-too-many Alpine passes with a pillion, but no signs of brake fade etc. were ever apparent. One or both front discs have had it.  I will make a warranty claim as this should not happen on a lightly loaded touring bike over a weekend in the Alps!

cheers
Jonathan

btw, I tried my mate's VTR (Superhawk) on a fantastic bit of road (Schollkrippen, near Aschaffenburg, if you happen to be in Bavaria/Hessen area). It feels light and taut compared to the ST, and the throttle response is scarry. It is also very uncomfortable!  I have never riddent a big V-twin (my only twin was a CB125T!) and using anything more than 5500rpm is a nightmare - rear wheel lock up, and it will stall due to high compression if you drop to 2000rpm.  Overall, a fun track toy, but I was happy to get back on the ST.  I do miss the feedback from the tyres that you get on the VTR, and it had much better suspension that the T509 / T595 in terms of comfort - to - feedback ratio.