San Diego-Laguna Seca (long)

 My apologies to all those waiting for the account of the first long ride on
my new ST. Suffice it to say that it was a blast-in more ways than one. The
first was the blast of heat on the tender undersides of my thighs, when
ambient temps rose into triple digits, as I breathlessly reported to the list
the day after I got back. The consensus seemed to be that the fairing was the
problem, expelling super-heated air at me, and solutions suggested included
taking a Dremel to the fairing (too violent), taking the fairing off (I might
have to do that) or grin and bear it (not an option.) One thought I had, was
getting the fairing for the new half-faired ST, when it becomes available. I
wonder if it will come in black....
Setting off for the WSB races at Laguna Seca, my new ST running like the
proverbial Swiss watch, having just completed its 500 mile service at Rocket
Motorcycles, San Diego, I was in a state of high excitement. I did have to
take it back to them just before departing, to have both tail light bulbs
replaced (it came from the factory with both  of the dim filaments burned
out, and I couldn't get the bulb housings out-seems they had been jammed in
the wrong way.), and to have the chain tightened. The chain could be made to
slap the swing arm-the tightening process involved measurements with a
mechanic's steel rule, and calculations on a computer, but what it boiled
down to was getting it just snug enough to not touch the swing arm. the
operation did not look that easy, even with the large one-piece C-wrench they
had at the shop-might be a bit dodgy beside the road with the 2-piece gadget
in the stock tool kit. I opted for Motul 300 V competition fully synthetic
oil, because I am suspicious of the unholy alliance between Triumph and
Mobil. The Motul is no cheaper ($10.95 a liter) but I think it is
better-satisfies Triumph's API-SH requirement, and its positively-charged oil
molecules stick to negative engine components while bike is standing, so a
film of lubricant is still there at start-up time, or so the Motul blurb
claims. Anyhow, it shifted very nicely.
During the slow break-in phase, I thought the turbulent air zone hit me
exactly at ear level, and I had been thinking of a raised wind-shield, but
once up to more robust speed, the turbulence was more at neck level, and with
the vent at the bottom of the stock windshield, it isn't that turbulent.
Someone with the Triumph raised shield said it didn't really get the
turbulent zone above his head,(ie it was still noisy) and the lack of wind
support put more weight on his wrists. Besides, with the flip-up shield, the
bike looks decidedly un-cool-"Ooo look-I've got a flip"
I had also thoght about bar-backs, but going along the freeway and leaning
back a few inches (steering with fingertips) didn.t really put my head in the
quiet zone either. I did find that if I stood up on the pegs and elevated my
head about 6" into clean air, that things did get significantly quieter, but
to achieve this effect I would need to bungee 2 San Diego phone books to the
seat-I don't think so.
My conclusion-Triumph got it right-leave it stock. I confess to one
modification-Mack's soft wax ear plugs. With these in place, and the stock
muffler, which I also like (it still has a satisfying roar, when driven past
by someone else) the silence is positively eerie (in fact I pondered from
time to time that if the bike started making some really nasty noises, I
would be blissfully unaware) I found the balance between the forward lean and
the wind pressure on my shoulders was perfect-no weight on my wrists at all.
I corrected a couple of faults others have pointed out of the list-I cut off
the too-tight zip-tie that was strangling the wires from the ignition lock
(One of the people in our Rocket Motorcycle club told me his had cut through,
and blown some fuses). I also looked behind the trailing edge of the left
fairing for the scuffing hose, but found only a hose that was quite free and
clear. However looking through the hole in the fairing a little further
forward, I found a hose that was scuffing against a bolt on the support from
the frame that bolts on to the head, and stuffed a bit of folded inner tube
under the hose.
The races were great-a record number of commercial exhibitors for Laguna Seca
motorcycle races, and lots of bargains, including 4 for the price of 2 Motul
products, great prices on Araii helmets, to name a couple. It was nice to see
wild-card AMA racers do so well against the Euro-Japanese pros, especially
Anthony Gobert, who was spectacular, winning his first race, and crashing
while in the lead of the second one, and Ben Bostrum, just behind Gobert.
One of the high points for me was when we were leaving-a barely-moving
line-up of cars on the 2-lane exit road, with us bikers inching by them on
the right. As I  came up on a large black Mercedes, I noticed a lovely slim
forearm drooping languidly out of the passenger window-drying the pale blue
nail polish, I thought. But no-as each motorcycle passed. it extended,
offering itself to be stroked! Does that prove that motorcycle people, and
their friends, are special, or what? (Yes, I dispensed a deer-skin-clad pat
as I went by, almost veering into the MB in my eagerness).
A few notes on accomodations:
1. Camping at the track is OK, but don't forget your earplugs if you want to
sleep, or your beer and firecrackers, if you want to join the yahoos.
2. On the way back down highway one, stop at the River Inn in Big Sur-a real
gem of a place-log cabins, a brook and lawn, excellent dining room, and live
Dixieland on Sunday afternoon, which you will miss if you stay to the end of
the races.
3. For breakfast next morning, the Redwood Cafe in Cambria, great home
cooking-including steel-cut oatmeal-the real thing. it's in a little mall on
the south side of the main street just before you come to the gas station.
At the gas station, I discovered I got 52 mpg coming down the coast-what a
bike! Dave Collins, San Diego