Re: Fairing is melting...

Thanks Eric,
On closer inspection, it does seem that two of the vertical welds had worn through the insulation, and then start to burn and ripple the plastic, which may have forced other parts to compress against the pipe and eventually burn through. Once the panel distorts perhaps
this is bound to happen?
Most of the edge of the insulation have detached from the panel, and some large 'bubbles' in the centre also, but it is not possible to say if this happened first or was a result of the combustion!
Took the bike in last night; the throttle cable is definitely a gonner - very rough and serious effort required to twist it, in comparison to their ST demo bike.  It seems likely that it is the cable but they will let me know later in the week.
Herr Brehm, the dealer owner agreed the brake discs are indeed warped and has ordered new ones.

Don't get me wrong; I still love the bike and none of the problems seem to reoccur after being fixed so I am happy to just take them one-at-a-time; this is the first and only time a fault has prevented me from riding it (the throttle cable!) and so far Triumph service has been excellent.  Despite this I have to say I am happy to have my trusty Honda Dominator as a back-up to get to work on!  It is simple, reliable and great fun to ride in town - 7 yrs old and Not One Thing has ever gone wrong with it.... hard to compare as it is not exactly cutting edge technology like the ST :)

cheers
Jonathan

At 09:41 AM 07/26/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
 >Ok y'all,
 >I talked to the dealer and we did some comparisons between my bike, with
 >melted right bellypan fairing, and their demo bike.  It seems that the
 >support bracket is not bent on my bike, but that the insulation material
 >might have slowly detached itself from the panel and contacted the exhaust,
 >eventually burning through.  There do not appear to be spacers between the
 >fairing piece and the brackets/mounting points.  Perhaps if others could
 >check the gap between fairing and insulation by running fingers under the
 >panel and see if this theory is correct?

Jonathan,

My insulation has not peeled off (or lifted off) but I show a spot in line
with a weld on the pipe where it has worn through.

Mine does not have any spacers and all brackets appear unbent.  I have
forwarded the info on to Shaun Siterson at Triumph US for comment. I will
let you know if I hear anything. If anyone else experiences the problem,
please let me know.

- - Eric