RE: Tyre eaters..

>I did think about putting a new tyre on before I went but the original will
>have only done about 1000 miles then.

Martin,
	bear in mind the amount of hastle you'll have while on holiday
trying to get a new tyre fitted - the planning, phoning in advance, as they
may not have a tyre in stock, or even the time to fit it there and then.
That may mean two or more trips back there before you've even got the tyre.
Some bike shops take a summer holiday - is the shop even open at all when
you're there. They certainly don't have a mechanic available on Saturday,
and often are closed on Monday as well. Plus the riding to the shop, hanging
around in the baking heat (S. France, blasting sun in leathers.....). Also
the last miles before you need it, the things going through your head....
how's the tread doing? What if it rains ? The handling's probably going
off....Are you going to be ripped-off by the dealer ? Does this sound like
doom ? Well, all these things can, and have happened (to me).
I am in a similar situation as you again this year. I'm getting a new set
before I go - keep the old ones, put them back on after the trip, when the
new set run out. The extra cost of getting the old tyres put on and balanced
is easily outweighed by the peice of mind I get from knowing I won't have to
sort out tyres halfway through the trip.
Tim.