Crash Study (Was: Signals Always On)

FYI:

Recent exaustive study came out in regards to bike crashes. Most are two
vehicle (cage/bike), most are due to cages not seeing bikes, and most
involve visibility from the FRONT. Most common bike crash? Cage turns
left (or U turn) in front of bike coming in opposite direction.

So the statistics say visibility from the front is the most important
factor in preventing collisions with cages.......

Brian W.

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 08:56 AM 07/29/1999 -0700, Paul Master wrote:
>  >I don't have his card on me, but I saw a guy selling flasher units for the
>  >headlights at Sears Point in the spring, that has a light sensor, so when it
>  >starts getting dark, the headlight remains on (ie behaves normally). As I
>  >recall, the cost was around $400 US ( I may be wrong in this). I will try to
>  >remember to get the card and post info to the list tonight.
>  >
>  >While expensive, I think this would be far superior than mucking with the
>  >turn signals if your objective is to get other drivers to notice you. More
>  >soon...
>
> It may be the same group (kriss.com) - they have a variety of products for
> visibility including headlight modulators. Plus you could get both the
> modulator and rear running light unit for around $300.
>
> I personally am more concerned with cagers not seeing me from behind
> (especially at night or in the rain). By running the signals as running
> lights, you create a "larger" obstacle in the road.
>
> Paul - how are you liking the ST now that you have a few weeks on it ?
>
> - Eric

End of st-digest V1999 #156