Re: How hot is the ST?

At 07:28 PM 07/29/1999 +1000, Soosalu, Grant wrote:

 >I test rode a Daytona last year and it was an excellent ride! However, the
 >amount of heat coming from the fairing onto the legs was ferocious. I read
 >that this problem was fixed with the ST. Is this the case? I noticed a
 >couple of postings today on this list about removing the bottom of the
 >fairing and that this made the bike cooler to ride (as in heat wise I am
 >assuming :-).

I think "fixed" is the wrong thing to say.
"Addressed" - yes
"Better" - yes
"Bearable (in my opinion)" - yes

But fixed - no. However, it is nowhere near the heat I felt while riding
Daytonas, (but it is still hotter than a bike with a half fairing or no
fairing). But this is also the case with most fully faired (and some half
faired) bikes out there on the market.

 >So what's the story?? I live in Australia, and in summer it gets bloody hot
 >here. I don't want to purchase something that as a sports *tourer* is not
 >functional and that cooks my legs.

If I spent the days riding it in a city environment, then I would say that
it would probably become uncomfortable - the only time I really have a
problem with it in the summer (so far) has been when at slow speeds (under
30 mph). Once the speed picks up and the air starts flowing again, I don't
find the heat to be unbearable at all.

- - Eric