Maybe I am too ignorant to be scared

I finally took delivery of my Red Sprint last Saturday.  After three months
of waiting.
For a time I had considered a Ducati ST2, but many readers of this list
(ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) strongly suggested I wait.  I must admit that towards
the end I had deposits with three different dealers.  And they all got bikes
within days of each other.
You gals and guys were right, it is a wonderful motorcycle.  Bear in mind
that I have no frame of reference for that comment.  Well I rode a Nighthawk
250 for two days when doing the MSF course.
My only other riding experience was 20 years ago , when I borrowed a
friend's motorcycle and then proceeded to leave skin from the bottom of my
feet on the road.  No I didn't know you should wear shoes and it happened in
Trinidad in the Caribbean where I grew up.
Anyway, I was concern that as a newbie the Sprint would be too much for me.
My friends suggest that I get something smaller like the Nighthawk and learn
to ride for a few years. I am 6-2 and 220 lbs., too small for a lot of
bikes.
But as usual, I had to have the best right away, and I am glad I got the
Sprint.
Learning to ride has been a challenge and a tremendous experience.  Reminds
me of the first time I soloed when learning to fly a Cessna 172.  I must
mention that I live and ride in the Big Apple, yep !  New York City USA.
Maybe I am too ignorant to be scared.  The taxi cabs, the pot holes, those
big steel plates that they use to cover even bigger holes.  Well I am
certainly find myself covering my both brake and clutch.
The streets are a challenge, especially as I am learning to find 1st gear
(can never find neutral), took my first highway ride yesterday.  Ee Gad !
As I am in the break-in period 3500 RPM get me about 50MPH.  Plenty fast
enough for me.  The highspeed cornering, well I kinda chickened out a few
times.  I hope it is just a matter of gaining confidence or should I be
learning some skill other than "slow, look, lean, roll"
It has been so hot that I am tempted to not wear my vanson (leather) jacket
when riding.

Anyway, thank you for giving me the opportunity to spill my guts.