Re: Top Rack Installation

> At 07:34 PM 06/04/1999 -0700, Paul Steinbacher wrote:
> >bike, removed the grab rail and looked some more; Hmmmm.....sure looks
like
> >this thing would just bolt on......tried just bolting
on.......fits.....seat

> yes, it will just bolt directly on in place of the grab rail.
>
> >goes on! What is the purpose of all the added pieces, seems to fit just
fine
> >like it is? I also tried a "dry fit" of the rack to the furnished
mounting
> >plate and it seems all wrong to me. The plate is in a flat plane and the
> >mounting base for the rack is the same as the grabrail, made to mount at
two
> >separate levels, looks like there are some missing shims if it is to
mount
> >correctly to the plate!!!!!! This is really starting to bug me!!!!!!!!!
>
> The plate is correct. It mounts under the lock mechanism - the spacers for
> the front are the stock spacers that are used with the grabrail.
>

> - Eric
Well, after an hour of fooling around....everything in pieces.....scratching
my head....some little bit of cussin....still nothing fits correctly, I
decided to reread your post, "stock spacers that are used with the grabrail"
!!!!!! Hmmmmm........Seems there must be some running changes that missed
some folks. I have no spacers under the stock grabrail, the grabrail is the
same as the toprack other than the fact that the toprack mounting points are
somewhat heavier. Now I am left to wonder if I even have the same kit! At
this point my only choice is to just fit toprack in place of the grabrail
and look at this like a 2 hour opportunity to clean under the seat. I'm
really not happy now! Are you SURE they didn't hire a Buell guy?

Paul Steinbacher