Re: Top Rack Installation and backrest

Eric,
It is done! Took me quite a while because I didn't like the length of some
of the bolts. Thought the front two were too long, (45mm) so I went shopping
for replacements for everything. If anyone else attempts this install
themselves, pay strict attention to torque values, I did not bother to get
out the wrench and tightened the front two too much. The bracket will deform
right where it gets narrow. I think they should have reinforced this area a
bit, the rest of it has angles so it is pretty strong except for a few
areas. I also mounted the hugger, plan on lots of patience for this job
also, or finding a child with very small hands. I figured as long as the day
was a wash anyway, I might as well mount Dee's backrest, so I wound up
spending about 12 hours total to get everything wrapped up. The backrest
came out pretty nice, I used a Kawasaki Concours backrest and a piece of
angle iron; I bolted the angle iron to the second bolt holes in the toprack
and I drilled two more holes in the front cross member; Then I painted
everything and bolted the backrest to the angle iron below the rack. The
angle is probably a bit straighter than ideal but we rode today and Dee said
it was great. The backrest has a basket weave pattern on the face so it is
not a perfect match but does not look out of place. It will negate the use
of a top case, but all we wanted the rack for was tent and sleeping bags, so
I think this will fit the bill just fine until someone comes up with
something better. Now we are ready for some real rides.

Paul & Dee Steinbacher