Intermittent complete loss of power

At a traffic light today I accidentaly killed the bike by letting the clutch
out too fast. No big deal normally - just hit the button and go...

...except that this time when I hit the button, all the lights went out. I
turned the key off and back on and all the lights were working just fine and
at their normal brightness. Hit the button again and boom - all the lights
are back out. Pushed it to the side of the road and tried a few more times
until the lights would not come back on at all. I popped off the seat and
looked at the fusees, checked the battery connections and looked at the
wiring from the switch pod and the ignition switch - no apperent problems or
damage. Scratched my head for a bit, put the seat back on and tried to think
of who I could call for help. Figured I would try it one more time before
calling for help so I put the key back in and the lights were back! Pull in
the clutch, hit the button and the engine started right up. No further
problems, even though I stopped and re-started several times after that.
However, the clock and the trip odometer were both re-set as if the battery
had been removed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea where to start looking for the
problem?