Re[2]: Starting problems

     Folks,

     This behaviour is not unique to Triumphs. I experienced exactly the
     same behavior with my TL where the motor would spin, the lights and
     horn functioned perfectly but it wouldn't catch. Charging the battery
     would cure the problem temporarily but the only long term fix was a
     new battery. Out of curiosity, did the listers experiencing this
     problem have an alarm fitted? Or mayby the heated grips? Suzuki
     suggested that this may be a factor. Looks like FI bikes are just very
     sensitive to battery condition.

     I also experienced the problem where the electrics work fine until you
     hit the starter and then you loose all electrics until you shut off
     and on the ignition (Usually). The culprit was indeed a slightly loose
     connection to the battery. The connection seemed fine to casual
     inspection and was conducting power perfectly but the load associated
     with the starter was causing slight arcing at the terminal (you could
     see the pitting) and hence the loss of electrics.

     So as you can see, the posts of the last few days have had an eerie sense
     of Deja-vu. Welcome to the "first year of production owners club". Now all
     that's missing is leaking fuel tanks, leaking clutch covers, fuel getting
     into the oil, endless remaps that reduce the HP but smooth out delivery (I
     wouldn't let them do this to mine, hehe) etc .... The TL was worth putting
     up with the problems and the general consesus seems to be that the ST is
     also. If that's not a good reccomendation I don't know what is.

     Martin

     '97 Suzuki TL1000S (Grease Spot)
     '79 Guzzi  V50 II
     '81 Suzuki X5      (Elleva)