Cam Info(was Valve info)

 This morning I went to my local Honda shop and had a look at my ST's
engine. The ticking/clacking noise that I've been whining about has been
diagnosed and I saw it up close and personally.I'm vindicated, but there's
no joy in it.The middle cylinder has a "mushroomed"shim and a "galled" cam
lobe. The camshaft has to be replaced.. The mechanic thinks the shim may
have been soft. There is no absence of oil. All the valves are extremely
tight-.20 and should be .6-.8. From past experience, I trust the Honda
mechanic implicitly,so they will be doing the work. The owner of the Honda
shop will talk to the Triumph shop owner in Missoula, first to get the
parts,and secondly to see if he will agree to authorize the total expense
as warranty work, in which case the paperwork will go to them and then
submitted to Triumph as if they had done the work.
  This is the noise that the Triumph mechanic(refer to my previous post and
scroll down to"douchebag") dismissed as no big deal, and the Honda guy
immediately diagnosed as a major problem.

Duner Tor
Bozeman MT

End of st-digest V1999 #101