New ST owner

Hi guys.  I just purchased a new '99 ST and am really enjoying it.  I've
only got 200 miles on it at this point and it gets better every day as
it loosens up.  I would like to know if anyone out there knows the
differences between the aluminum and carbon fiber race cans in the
Triumph catalog.  I rode a demo bike with the carbon fiber can and loved
the sound.  Does the aluminum one sound the same?
Does it make the same power?  I know the aluminum can is less expensive
and I actually like the looks of it better but if it does not sound or
perform as good as the carbon fiber can I will buy that one.  I also am
looking for a recommendation on a new helmet as I am 6'4" and am taking
the full wind blast on my shoulders and neck at speed.  I am looking for
a helmet that is quiet, has good ventilation, is comfortable and well
made.  My old helmet is an open face style for cruising and is totally
inappropriate for the ST.  Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,  Dan Curcio