Re: top speed

The 2 major Italian bike magazines both measured a very similar
top speed which is just about 242 kph. In both cases they indicate
the speedo was reading about 255.
Personally, I reached 230 (on the speedo) a couple of times and still
had more to go but had to slow down due to cars getting too close.
The bike was really stable and wind still bearable without having to
lean too much over the tank. But that was before I got my top rack
installed. Now, when I have the GiVi 36 litre box on, there is quite
a bit of turbulance back there when over 200 kph which really makes
you want to slow down.

My rear tire is also worn out at 8000 km. Front tire pretty worn as
well although a bit less. I'm going to take them as far as I can and
next try will surely be the Dragon GTS's. A few friends have mounted
them and they all say they are a very good compromise for touring and
also rougher riding.

Ciao,
Carlo
All Black Sprint ST

=>Had a fun blast back across France yesterday (Paris to Darmstadt in 6.5 hrs
for 600km), including the very empty A6 from Saarebrueck to Mannheim (no speed
limit!).  On a straight section I opened up the ST (full throttle) and reached
about 235kph at 8500rpm - the rev's were still climbing very slowly but I ran
out of room....  I would guess this indicated 235 is actually about 220kph
'real'.
=>
=>Does anyone have any good figures on what the true top speed should be?  I
understand BiKE magazine (UK) managed 156mph on Bruntingthorpe test track which
sounds very impressive.
=>The German 'fahrzeugschein' (veh. registration doc.) indicates a top speed of
220kph which is about what I was getting.... does anyone know if this is
actually measured from a test or just the allowed speed on the rated tyres?
=>
=>thanks
=>Jonathan