Decision made (Sprint vs. VFR)

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those that responded
to my earlier post asking for advice on the VFR vs. Sprint ST decision
on a new bike for my wife.  The bottom line is that we now have a new
Triumph in the garage, not to mention a very happy wife to go with it!

Saturday morning, after our customary breakfast with the HSTA folks, we
rode down to Harding's Park Cycle in Canton, Ohio.  The folks there were
good enough to pull both a brand new VFR and Sprint off the floor and
prep them so Marlene could test-ride them back-to-back.  While waiting
for them to be prepped, at the salesman's recommendation she took out a
Kawasaki ZX6 (or something like that).

She was well suited to the riding position on the Kaw, and she found it
very easy to control and fun to ride.

The Honda was next.  Compared to the Kaw, the seat seemed a bit higher
(she's 5'6" and could flat-foot the Kaw but not quite with the VFR), but
the riding position was otherwise very comfortable.  However, she said
she felt more "integrated" with the Kaw.  Returning from her ride, she
reported nicer handling, better braking, and an impression of much
higher overall quality from the Honda.  I expected her to find the
VFR's engine much friendlier the the Kaw's but she felt that it still
had to be revved a bit to get good response - more power overall, but
only marginally better down low.  She had quite a grin - the Honda was
clearly the leader at this point.  In fact, later that evening she
confessed to me that she had expected to like the Honda better than the
Sprint when compared back-to-back.

Finally on to the ST.  Similar seat height and position to the VFR, but
more comfortable for some reason - perhaps the shape or padding of the
seat.  Off she went on the suggested test route.  I should mention that
she took two laps around the route on the VFR, so when I saw her coming
back from the first loop on the Triumph and pulling back into the dealer,
I assumed the Honda was getting the nod.  She walked in and said, "Easy
decision, it's not even close."  I said, "So, the VFR it is, then."
She:  "Oh no!  The Triumph is much better."  Apparently it was no contest.
She didn't need any longer to decide.

After much discussion, I basically determined that although she felt the
VFR was an excellent choice with which she could be very happy, there were
many subtle, hard to describe things she liked about the ST.  And one
very, very big thing.  To quote one of the respondents to my initial query:
"Torque, torque, torque, torque, torque, torque, in that order."

So a deal was made, the prep was completed, and around an hour or so later
we were on our way, Marlene now on a tornado red Sprint ST.

Yesterday evening, after much begging and pleading ;-), I got to take it
out for a brief (40 miles) spin.  What a fantastic bike!  Great motor,
great handling, and really nice feel to the brakes.  In fact, in my limited
experience, I don't recall as nice a rear brake on any bike I've ever
ridden.  As mentioned in some of the reviews we read, downshifting is a bit
quirky, but I gather this improves with time.  (I ride a BMW - I *know*
about quirky shifting!)  BTW, I adjusted (lowered) the shifter and rear
brake levers a bit which made them easier and more comfortable to operate.

So anyway, this means I'll be staying subscribed to this list so you will
all have to put up with a bunch of silly questions from me, a few of which
will be forthcoming very soon, I'm sure!  If anyone cares, I am subscribed
from two different addresses: msp@xxxxxxxxxx and mmdp@xxxxxxxxxxxx which
are work and home, respectively.

Mark
- --

Best Regards,

Mark S. Patrick                                 E-mail: msp@xxxxxxxxxx
Prism Computer Applications, Inc.               Voice:  (216) 228-1400
Cleveland, Ohio  USA                            Fax:    (216) 228-4977