Re: Metzeler MEZ4 homologation in Germany

Thanks for the info Eric.  Your experience, plus that of a friend with them on his Katana will probably see me getting the Dragon GTS.  All I know is that they are wearing slowly and evenly on my friends' VFR and he is very happy with them. They are also 5% cheaper than the MEZ4. As another ST lister wrote I am not sure, being 'Dragon's that they will last much more than 5000 miles, but then again any tyre (tire) that would might compromise the handling limits that are so fun on the ST :)   Even the very worn Bridgestone BT57 still felt very stable and controlled at 230kph for over 100km continuous high speed use, but it is now in a VERY sad state indeed - around the central band there are flakes of rubber pulling off and signs of wear/melting(?) at the edges of the centre band.  I checked the pressures very carefully (stone cold) that day so I dont think that was the problem.    Is this something likely to happen to any bike tire used for extended periods at 115mph+ ?

I will try to find out if the Pirelli GTS uses the same rubber compound as the MEZ4 but it would not surprise me if this is the case, as the materials and tyres are made at the same factory here in the Black Forest (at least for euro distribution) and I have heard this is the case on other tyres in their range.

cheers
Jonathan

At 11:18 AM 06/15/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
>In case anyone else (Schweiz, Austria, D, NL?) has to conform to the tyre
homologation rules, the Metzeler site
(http://www.metzeler.de/home.eng.html) has just listed the MEZ4 as tested
and homologated for the Sprint ST 1999.
>Since the Metzeler and Pirelli factories here in Germany are one and the
same thing (the local factory is on a shared site) it may be that they have
tested the Pirelli Dragon GTS at the same time.....  the MEZ4 is reasonably
priced here and reputed to last well, so I will probably give it a go if
there is no word from Pirelli.

Jonathan,

Have you seen any tests of the GTS? I ran the Mez4's on the old Sprint and
didn't care for the wear rate / pattern - I put them on before my trip last
year and by the end (4200 miles) the the rear was ready for replacement.
Was hoping that the GTS would be a little better...

- - Eric