Re: Stainless Cans

Rich Weyand wrote:

> At 05:11 PM 6/16/99 -0700, Retherford, Martin wrote:
> >Most SS is magnetic.  Only special grades that are tempered right will be
> >non-magnetic.  For those trying to sneak a bladed onto the airlines.

> Well, we disagree.  By far most stainless steel in use is 304, over 50%,
> which has very low magnetic permeability (and is therefore virtually non-
> magnetic) once annealed.  Go try a fridge magnet on your stainless steel
> flatware.  Nada.

My fridge magnet seems very attracted to my flatware (cheap) as well as
my cooking knives (quality).  It also likes the outer rim of my
cooktop.  It does not, however, want anything to do with the SS lining
of my dishwasher, which is probably the most like the muffler.

What does all this prove?  I have no idea, but it did provide
entertainment for other members of my family.  ;-)

Mark
- --
Best Regards,

Mark S. Patrick
Avon Lake, Ohio
BMWMOC BMWMOA BMWRA IBMWR
His:  '99 BMW R1100RT - Opal Blue
Hers: '99 Triumph Sprint ST - Tornado Red