Re: 207's and Mobil 1

There is a good tyre (tire) review on the 'old' motorcycleworld site:-
http://www.motorcycleworld.co.uk/producttests/perfbikes/gripped/index.htm
Basically they like the Michelin Hi-Sport over the D207, BT56SS (crap), Pirelli Dragon etc. It was done on a VTR1000 (Superhawk?) by Jack Lilley's very own Francis Williamson (T595 proddy racer).  It makes interesting reading on how he compares tyres and how well his 'feelings' match the lap times he was getting.  I have checked and the link still works, but you cannot access it from the new 'front page' for motorcycleworld.

In case anyone else is in Germany, here are the prices (with our discount for the space agency bike club):
Metzeler MEZ4     DM615,- (pair)
Pirelli Dragon GTS DM256/356 = DM600 pair
Battlax BT57R 180/55ZR17 DM322,-

cheers
Jonathan

>>> Mark Ressa <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 16/06/99 19:50:04 >>>

>>Hello Fellow Sprint Owners,
I was thinking about putting Dunlop 207 on my bike after the stock
Bridgestones wore out, I know they don't last the longest but they do stick
very well. I have them on my other bike, and I like the way they feel on
it. Has anybody tried them yet, and what do you think of the way they
worked? Did they quicken up the steering at all? Also I changed the oil in
my Sprint after the 500 mile mark and put in Mobil 1, it seem to really
help smooth out the shifting. What do other peaple think about this type of
oil? Thanks for the info and happy riding.
Another Happy
Sprint Owner
Bruce Vezzetti<<

Other riders I've talked to recommend the 207's. I'm calling around right
now and the cheapest price for the front I've found is $99 and $129 for the
rear. The tire stores are telling me not to expect more than 3,000 miles.
In fact, OC Triumph suggested that if I'm going to get 207's, why not pop
for an additional $100 and get the GPs, saying they last about as long as
the street version. I use to buy 204's and would get about 3,000, although
I remember reading that 207's were suppose to wear a little longer. The
Bridgestones burned out after 4,200 miles and handled OK. I was also
thinking of putting a GP on the front and a street compound on the rear. I
use to do this with the 204's and would end up replacing the fronts and the
rears at the same time. Any thoughts/comments on any of this?
<snip>