Re: Painfull Confession

At 10:32 AM 6/19/99 -0500, Richard & Lisa White wrote:
>It fell in an agonizingly slow motion till I could not hold on any longer....

I read the rest with my eyes closed.  :-(

>I was surprised she wanted to stay on hers, because that was her bike.

I'm not.  They kinda grow on you.

>Well, I called to get a quote on these parts just to see what kind of
>$$$ we were talking to replace with new.  The lower fairing piece is
>about $315.  The outer shell of the bag was an obsolete P/N, but the
>dealer was told that if we ordered it, Triumph would still make it.  He
>was not quoted a price however.  BTW, it just occurred to me that these
>parts probably come unpainted.  Does anyone know for sure about this?

The lower fairing piece with the radiator vent in it is indeed $315, and
comes painted and badged and clearcoated over the badgework and all, just
like new, right out of the box.  I can't tell any difference in mine at all.

>As another option, the parts guy says that blemishes like this can be
>filled in, smoothed over, and painted.  He gave me a name and I may look
>into this, but I am concerned that a repair job like this would be
>noticeable.  Anyone have any experience with this and can offer some
>advice.

Buy the parts and make it new.
Buy the parts and make it new.
Buy the parts and make it new.
Buy the parts and make it new.
Buy the parts and make it new.

It will *never* be the same otherwise, and once you do, it will be all better.
Been there, done that.  If in doubt, back up seven sentences and read again.
Repeat as necessary.

Really.  They have to take the fairing off to do the sump bolts, valve adjust-
ments, etcetcetc, anyway, so unbolting one and putting on a different one is
no different than the sort of thing one does during normal maintenance.  And
the replacement parts are just as perfect and beautiful as the ones that come
on the bikes.  So if you replace the parts, it will be perfect, just like
before.  But bodywork will always be bodywork.

>Now the next hard part is over, confessing my sins to all.  The final
>step in expunging my sins is to put her bike back in the shape it was in
>when she left it last.

Don't forget the two upper brackets for the lower fairing.  When they took
the weight of the bike on my downside (which was admittedly more exciting
than your incident), they bent.  You will know by comparing the gap between
the lower fairing piece and the frame along the top edge of the lower fairing.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx