Fuel gauge

I just took my new ST for its first post-100 mile (IE 5000 rpm) ride through
some twisties, and I loved it-amazed at how confidence-inspiring it is,
compare to my '95 Trophy 1200 which still intimidated me, after 26,000
miles..
My only niggle so far, is the fuel-gauge and warning light setup, which is
funky, to say the least. I have seen it mentioned a few times on the list, so
I know my problem is not unique. However, since there is no petcock to dial
in some reserve fuel, I feel a bit more dependent on it I did on the Trophy.
It went from half full (at 165 miles) to empty, with the light on, quite
suddenly. My question is, is this worth bothering with (on warratnty) or
should I just regard it as part of the bike's character, and go by the
odometer? Dave Collins, San Diego