RE: Any ex VFR owners out there?

Hi Dean,
I'm Dennis Tackett and live in Dallas. If you're looking for non-biased
opinions you'll only find rabid ST fans here. I can say that in 30 years of
motorcylcing with multiple marques the ST is by far the most versital I've
had. The Speed Tripl and ST really don't compare except for sharing the same
basic motor although the ST is mapped differently. Go to the ST website for
more info. As to picking the Speed Triple over the ST it depends on your
riding preferences. If most of your riding is short distance or all day
twisties geared for sport riding the Triple wins. But if you need to ride
several hours to get to twisties, or ride several dfays in a row the the ST
is the bike for you. I had a '95 Sprint before this which I loved. The
Sprint family and concept is perfect for the area here. The nearest good
roads are at least 1 1/2 hours away and I usually make a weekend trip to the
really good roads every other month which are 6 hours away. I haven't found
a better combination in a bike yet. I can superslab it all day and then wick
it up and keep up with the best canyon carvers when I get there. My best
advice is to find a dealer that has both and do your own comparision. This
may be hard as the ST's don't stay in stock very long and I haven' seen a
dealer make one into a demo bike yet. Welcome to the ST site and I hope you
decide to go with the ST. There are a few new model teething problems such
as querky fuel guages and such but they have been or are being addrressed by
Triumph. Ther is another guy in NY on this site but I didn't keep his e-mail
introduction. He would be able to give you good feedback on how the ST
performs in the NY area. Eric can you help them get together?

Howdy all,

I'll be getting a new bike next season...and since I'm on the T5 and Sprint
lists you can see that I'm quite interested in the Speed Triple or Sprint
ST.  First, has anyone battled themselves whether they wanted the cool look
of the Triple or the more aerodynamic faired Sprint?  I'm kind of torn
between them right now.

My other bike was an 82 Honda Sabre V45.  When I first went looking for a
new bike I thought I'd head straight to Honda and the new VFR800.  Then
someone pointed me to the Triumph's and they look like they'd put a smile
on my face...a bit more so then the VFR800.

I want something with very good mid engine torque and character.  The
triple engine seems to provide that and the Speed triple especially deals
the character in spades.

I haven't ridden much in the past 2 years as I was working abroad and
traveled a lot. Sad, eh?

I'd use the bike to get around NYC and some trips around the northeast.
I'll be using a bike instead of a car to get around the tristate area.
Have people with the 509 been pretty happy whilst taking it out on weekend
trips or would you rather have the Sprint ST or Daytona for such things?

For those who have owned the VFR's and moved to Triumph...in retrospect you
still happy with Triumph?  Overall, in the states how is the service/dealer
network?  What about reliability comparisons to Honda?  I don't mind having
to give a bike a bit more TLC than a Honda, but overall I also want to be
fairly confident the bike won't give me any surprises.

I guess I'm looking for a long term report from owners.  Happy?  Not happy?
 What could be better?  How has your overall experience with Triumph been,
etc...?

Can anyone point me to reviews of the 99 Speed Triple?  I saw just one
review on the net...which was favorable.  But I'd like to see more if
possible.  There were plenty of reviews on the Sprint.

Any comparison's out there on the Vmax and Speed triple?

Hope I'm not making a cardinal sin as my first post to the two lists, but
if anyone chose the Triumph over any of the following bikes your personal
thoughts on them and why ya chose the Triumph (Sprint or Triple) would be
very much appreciated.

This is my potential list...and by now I've mentally put the Triumph's on
top which is why I'm now on the 509 and Sprint lists...

Standard/Street/Muscle/Cruiser side of thing:

Triumph- Adventurer, Thunderbird, Tiger and Speed Triple

Ducati- Monster / BMW- R1200C / Suzuki- Bandit / Kawasaki- ZRX1100/
 / Yamaha- Vmax

For the more SportsTouring side I came up with the following:

Triumph- Sprint ST / Suzuki-TL1000S / Honda VFR800, VT1000 / Ducati ST2
/BMW K1200RS

Well, that's it.  I'm sure more then a few people out there who ended up
with Triumph's have at some point considered one of the above bikes...or
maybe not.  <g>

I've come across more then one account of people having bad mojo from
Ducati which has more or less scared me away from them boys.  Though, I'd
be up for any Monster 900 comparisons to the Triple...

The Tiger seems an interesting bike and the perfect urban street bike...but
it doesn't have the appeal that the Triple and Sprint have.

If comparisons and long term thoughts aren't fodder for the list then
e-mail direct.

Much Thanks...

Regards,

Dean C. Harris
Microsoft Certified Professional- Windows 95