Re: Brakes

At 05:06 PM 06/27/1999 -0500, Richard & Lisa White wrote:
>Difference:  The movement in the rear brake lever on his ST stayed
>around 1" from "resting" to fully compressed.  I now have around 2" of
>mushy movement from "resting" to fully compressed.  Talk about losing
>confidence in the rear brake!!  We bled her some more with no air
>showing in the fluid, and while she tightened up a bit, it was still
>pretty bad!  Any suggestions?  Should I just take her to the shop and
>let them them deal with it?  I could still ride her because as bad as it

Lisa,

Sounds like your pedal just needs a little more bleeding. If you cannot see
any more air from the bleeder nipple, slightly loosen the banjo fitting at
the piston (by the reservoir). Depress the pedal fully and if you have air
in that part of the line, you should see little bubbles appear. Before
releasing the pedal, tighten the fitting and the release the pedal. If you
got air, then repeat until clear (making sure that you maintain a proper
fluid level in the reservoir).

Or you can get a vacuum operated bleeder like the MightyVac (available at
AutoZone) which makes short work of bleeding the system. After installing
the GenMar risers, I was able to bleed a new line in under 5 minutes.....

- - Eric