Re VFR vs. ST

>>For those who have owned the VFR's and moved to Triumph...in retrospect
you still happy with Triumph? Overall, in the states how is the
service/dealer network? What about reliability comparisons to Honda? I
don't mind having to give a bike a bit more TLC than a Honda, but overall I
also want to be fairly confident the bike won't give me any surprises.<<

I went riding with a VFR 800 owner on Saturday. He was telling me that he
liked the color of my black ST and was initially thinking of getting the ST
as opposed to the VFR partly for that reason. He also complimented the ST
for having a great suspension (he test rode one) right off the showroom
floor. What swayed him to the VFR was the fact that the popularity of the
ST meant he would have to pay full retail. He bought his VFR for around
$8,200. Interesting though, he didn't like the suspension of his VFR, front
or rear, so within the last couple of weeks he spent $1,000 on an Olins
(sp?) rear shock and $600 at Race Tech for the front forks. Now he's up to
$9,800 for the VFR. I asked him if he was going to get the Givi bags and go
on trips with it. "Not with this suspension, it's pretty rough on the
freeway." The ironies are so obvious need I say more?

One last point. On 'racer road' Saturday, he couldn't shake me.

MR

End of st-digest V1999 #121