Re: Brakes

Richard & Lisa,

The MightyVac everyone is telling you about should be available at any of the
larger auto parts stores.  It consists of a hand powered vacuum pump with a
removeable reservoir to catch the brake fluid.  This all gets attached to the
caliper bleeder by a hose.  To use the device all you do is pump up vacuum in
the reservoir and open the bleeder until all the air is expelled from your
brakes.  If the pedal still remains 'soft' you can also use this device to
force brake fluid through the bleeder and fill the system this way.  The air
gets purged through the master cylinder reservoir.  To use the tool this way
just remove the hose from the vacuum port on the pump and attach it to the
pressure port.  Fill the MightyVac reservoir with new brake fluid and and
start pumping with the bleeder open.  Watch the master cylinder until there
are no more bubbles.  I have found this second method to be the only thing
that works with systems that tend to trap air.  If all else fails take it to
the dealer and let them go crazy with it.  Hope this helps.

Dan

BTW -  brake fluid eats paint  and some plastics better than furniture
stripper so be very careful not to spray or drip it onto any part of the bike.